Blending together the action-RPG elements of Grand Theft Auto and the nonchalant, extremist gameplay mechanics of Just Cause, Saints Row is one of the most popular ARPG games on the market and has been around since some of the first GTA games. As they started, Saints Row games were quite similar to GTA in many respects, prompting the developers to make something new and to make a clear distinction between the franchises. Because of this, some of the Saints Row games have been completely unhinged when it comes to their gameplay, but we’re here to straighten it all out and provide you with some of the most relevant Saints Row statistics around, just to see how the franchise has performed over the years and where it is going in the future. Should you find yourself wondering about other topics like how much is the esports industry worth, we’ve got you covered on that as well!
Saints Row key stats
The first Saints Row game was released in 2006 under the development of Deep Silver Volition, and since then, there have been 5 mainline games to come out, each one crazier than the last. With so many games to consider, we’re going to have our work cut out for us as we go over some of the most relevant sales statistics and news surrounding the series!
The Saint’s Row series has sold over 32 million units.
(Sources: VG Chartz, GameReactor)
- Saints Row sold 2 million units.
- Saints Row 2 sold 3.4 million units.
- Saints Row: The Third sold 5.5 million units.
- Saints Row IV sold 1 million units at launch.
It is no secret that Saints Row is one of the most popular open-world RPG series out there, and while the sales of the game are not even comparable to the sales of the game from which Saints Row supposedly “copied” everything — GTA V, its performance on the market has still been excellent, and we can expect the reboot to gain more and more sales as time goes on.
The Saints Row series grossed over $90.1 million on Steam.
(Source: VG Insights)
- Saints Row 2 grossed $7.5 million.
- Saints Row The Third Remastered grossed $1.5 million.
- Saints Row IV grossed $68.5 million.
- Saints Row: Gat out of Hell grossed $8.7 million.
- Agents of Mayhem grossed $3.9 million.
Deep Silver is not known for providing accurate sales stats for their games, so few companies do, anyway. However, from the statistics that we can gather from Steam sales, we can see that the Saints Row series has accumulated a tremendous amount of money on a single platform, and we can only imagine what the revenue looks like for other platforms as well.
The Saints Row reboot did not meet sales expectations.
(Sources: PushSquare, Yahoo, GamesIndustry)
- The game cost over $100 million to make.
- Embracer had to re-evaluate its policies regarding its new games and the principles that go behind greenlighting the same games.
- Efficiency is paramount now as they had to increase their efficiency and they have claimed that each of their projects has to earn its right to exist.
- While Saints Row was not the only game to be problematic when it comes to sales and performance, it is one of the main games to have this issue.
- The CEOs of Embracer Group were notably disappointed with the performance of the game, largely because GTA V, released in 2013, beat it out of the water.
This is something that tends to happen with newer games from 2018 onward, especially in 2023, the games that come out seem to be completely unfinished, unpolished, buggy, and just not enjoyable to play. While this wasn’t true completely for the Saints Row reboot, it still came with its own line of issues that made it not that enjoyable to play.
There is an edition of Saints Row IV that includes a Lamborghini.
- This edition was released at the same time as the standard Saints Row IV game and cost $1 million.
- This bundle included the game, a Lamborghini Gallardo, a Prius, a new wardrobe, as well as insurance.
- It is not known if anyone purchased the bundle.
- The Saints Row reboot also has a joke bundle on sale for $100 million.
- The bundle includes the position of CEO of Deep Silver, a book deal, a mega yacht along with many expensive cars, and their student loan debts paid.
Ah, yes, a Saints Row game released in true Saints Row fashion! The special bundles for Saints Row IV and the reboot were insane, even though no one was crazy enough to buy one at any point. There isn’t much more to say about this other than it would have been interesting to see someone actually get one of the bundles. Maybe they could get those hotfixes going even more…
The Saints Row reboot had 1 million players within 2 months of its release.
- This was in spite of the mixed reviews that the game received during its release.
- As soon as it was released, Deep Silver stated that they would release hotfixes shortly.
- 2023 will also include a lot of additional content that will likely attract more players to the game.
The hype surrounding the Saints Row reboot was more than justified as the series has acquired a cult-like following since the first game was released, and we can expect the game to get more and more players as time goes on, as milestones will be crossed and Deep Silver will want to make sure they’re on top of notifying their audience.
The Saints Row reboot had 3.3 million hours watched on Twitch in 2022.
- The game had 192,983 broadcasting hours in 2022.
- It had 384 viewers on average.
- 22 channels were streaming the game on average.
- It had a viewer ratio of 17.5.
- Its peak viewer count was 106,609.
- There were 31,887 broadcasters that streamed the game.
And finally, we have some general Twitch statistics concerning the Saints Row reboot and how it has been performing on the platform. As we can see, Saints Row performed quite well considering the issues it came with and the general consensus has been that the game is fine to play and quite enjoyable to watch, as long as you’re a fan of the genre.
To sum up
And that concludes our short walk through the realm of the Saints Row series! As you can see, the tabloids and news that surround the series are sometimes just as insane as the storylines and gameplay dynamics of the games themselves. Other than that, Saints Row has had a long and prosperous lifetime in the gaming market that shouldn’t be slowing down any time soon. We sincerely hope that your questions have been answered and that you found what you were looking for!
- “Saints Row (Series)”. VG Chartz, 2020, https://www.vgchartz.com/game/226310/saints-row/
- “Saints Row CEO Sounds Kinda Disappointed About New Reboot’s Sales”. Kotaku, 2022, https://kotaku.com/saints-row-gta-rockstar-embracer-grand-theft-auto-5-1849564447
- Saints Row Sales Flop Forces Parent Company to Change Its Policy on New Games”. PushSquare, 2023, https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2023/02/saints-row-sales-flop-forces-parent-company-to-change-its-policy-on-new-games
- “Saints Row 2 – Steam Stats”. VG Insights, 2023, https://vginsights.com/game/9480
- “Saints Row The Third Remastered – Steam Stats”. VG Insights, 2023, https://vginsights.com/game/978300
- “Saints Row IV – Steam Stats”. VG Insights, 2023, https://vginsights.com/game/206420
- “Saints Row: Gat out of Hell – Steam Stats”. VG Insights, 2023, https://vginsights.com/game/301910
- “Agents of Mayhem – Steam Stats”. VG Insights, 2023, https://vginsights.com/game/304530
- “Remembering the Ridiculous $1 Million Saints Row 4 Wad Wad Edition”. GameRant, 2022, https://gamerant.com/saints-row-4-wad-wad-edition-ridiculous-retrospective/
- “Saints Row Reboot Reportedly Cost $100 Million to Make and “Underperformed” for Embracer Group”. Yahoo, 2023, https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/saints-row-reboot-reportedly-cost-210746899.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAEeYNxUzTPnMiFUZ0DbsKaQ-r272a8BmaCbd6P0OX0R_3kKDnyMim2h4XIvp0shalpyCi5FUfPwVY8EMWpiHEqBxZbPIhcPc3CdPzhB5F66ZFXcY9dnWiO_sQNKkOaMyqJSwuh8Gr30QsjnklxlsoXJVWDgorpQ776nzsj31sMdn
- “Saints Row Has Had Over 1 Million Players, Major Update Out in Late November”. WorthPlaying, 2022, https://gamingbolt.com/saints-row-has-had-over-1-million-players-major-update-out-in-late-november
- “‘Saints Row’ Reaches One Million Players, Developer Focusing On Fixes And Quality Of Life Updates, New Content In 2023”. WorthPlaying, 2022, https://worthplaying.com/article/2022/10/11/news/134167-saints-row-reaches-one-million-players-developer-focusing-on-fixes-and-quality-of-life-updates-new-content-in-2023/
- “Saints Row IV sells a million in a week”. GameReactor, 2013, https://www.gamereactor.eu/saints-row-iv-sells-a-million-in-a-week/
- “Grand Theft Auto 5 denies Saints Row No.1 in August | European Monthly Charts”. GamesIndustry, 2022, https://www.gamesindustry.biz/grand-theft-auto-5-denies-saints-row-no1-in-august-european-monthly-charts
- “Saints Row”. SullyGnome, 2022, https://sullygnome.com/game/Saints_Row_/2022