FromSoftware games are always popular for being held to an extremely high gaming standard due to their quality, difficulty, and excellence of craft, most of which other games can only hope to achieve. The newest title in the FromSoftware franchise is Elden Ring, an epic high fantasy game that is set in The Lands Between, a place where all manner of worlds collide into an amalgam of danger, wonder, adventure, life, and death.
Your character is a Tarnished warrior attracted to the force of Grace, which is essentially the life force of the world. The world is inhabited by six demigods belonging to a large, complicated family. Your job is to kill smaller enemies, gain experience and levels, become stronger, then defeat the demigods and bring about a new world order. The game is massive and there are a lot of numbers that go into it, so we’re going to be looking into the game and providing you with some Elden Ring statistics and facts. If you’re a fan of this type of content, you can also take a look at some video game industry statistics and facts.
Elden Ring sales stats
The very first thing we should take a look at is the total number of sales Elden Ring has achieved as the game was very hyped when the release date was announced, and the popularity only kept growing the more the game grew its notoriety. Let’s take a look and gain a new perspective on the sales progress of Elden Ring!
Elden Ring has sold over 20.5 million copies globally.
- 1 million of those units were sold exclusively in Japan.
- 3.2 million copies were sold in the first 3 months.
- It is the fastest-selling FromSoftware title to date.
As we can see, the sales stats for Elden Ring are very impressive and they have risen into the millions quite shortly. A decent number of sales were achieved within the first three months, and as the popularity of Elden Ring grew, so did the sales.
At 41%, most of the total Elden Ring sales were for the PS4 and PS5.
- 29% of the total Elden Ring sales were for PC.
- 30% of the total Elden Rings sales were for the Xbox.
We can see from these statistics that the hype around Elden Ring was tied majorly to consoles, which is only natural as PC sales were a bit lower due to performance issues such as lag and stuttering, but the game was patched and those issues are mostly resolved at the time of writing.
Since the release of Elden Ring, Bandai Namco’s revenue increased by 135%.
- The total entertainment revenues of Bandai Namco have risen to $7.36 billion.
- Elden Ring has made up for approximately one-third of those revenues.
- This is a 135% profit increase compared to the previous year.
The total profits that Bandai Namco has seen since the Elden Ring came out are staggering as the company has not seen such a large increase in a long time, but that just goes to show you the popularity of Elden Ring and how gamers will jump at the opportunity to try out a new game.
Most of Elden Ring’s reviews are perfect 10/10s.
(Source: IGN, Metacritic, OpenCritic, PCGamesN, The Guardian, GameSpot, GameInformer, PCGamer, GamesRadar, VG24/7, Destructoid)
These are the reviews of Elden Ring near the time of its release:
- Metacritic: 94/100
- OpenCritic: 95/100
- PCGamesN: 10/10
- The Guardian: 5/5
- Destructoid: 10/10
- GameSpot: 10/10
- VG24/7: 5/5
- GameInformer: 10/10
- GamesRadar: 5/5
- PCGamer: 90/100
Aside from some user reviews scolding the game, Elden Ring has very rarely gotten a single review lower than a 9/10.
Elden Ring won Game of the Year at The Game Awards 2022.
- The game won four awards at The Game Awards 2022, including Best Game Direction, Best Art Direction, and Best Role Playing.
- Aside from this, Elden Ring received 7 rewards in six other reward ceremonies.
- The game beat God of War for Game of the Year 2022.
And shortly after the game was released it saw some impressive accomplishments during the game awards despite constant review bombing by people who wanted other games such as Stray and God of War to win. In the end, reviewers decided that the title of the best game of the year should go to Elden Ring, which is more than deserved considering the sheer size of the game and how much it improved upon the base template of FromSoftware games in general.
Elden Ring DLC expansion called Shadow of the Erdtree officially in development.
- FromSoftware officially announced a DLC for Elden Ring.
- The announcement was made on the one-year anniversary of the game’s release.
- It is speculated that the figure is Miquella riding Torrent, indicating a return to the past.
- The use of the word “expansion” suggests a large addition to the game with a lot of content to explore.
After a year of dying over and over to all manner of creatures, Elden Ring players can finally enjoy some respite and explore some new areas in Shadow of the Erdtree! As always, this new information is a bit cryptic, as is true FromSoftware tradition, but from what we have been able to gather from this announcement, the scope of the expansion might be quite massive and we can expect a ton of excellent content!
Elden Ring user stats
The community is ultimately the most important part of any game, and you can be quite sure that the Elden Ring community has dedicated a lot of hours to the game, accumulated every achievement, and played through it 110%. Now we’re going to look at some of the most relevant user stats of Elden Ring.
Elden Ring averages around 30,000 peak players on Steam each day.
(Source: Steam Charts)
- The all-time player count for the game on Steam was 952,523 on March 1st.
- Based on peak player count, it was the 5th best Steam game, right after Dota 2.
It is only natural for a game to lose some of its concurrent player base after a time, and that is most likely because the game, aside from praise, has also received a good deal of criticism for not being simple enough to follow.
Only 7.7% of Elden Ring players on Steam have completed all of its achievements.
- 13% of players have achieved the bad ending.
- Approximately 20% of players that have purchased the game have never even made it to Roundtable Hold.
- 25% of players have never beaten Margit, The Fell Omen, the first boss.
From these stats, we see that the difficulty of Elden Ring is justified as only 8% of players have beaten the game in its entirety. When it comes to that part of the player base that is not as dedicated, we see that 25% of all players have never even beaten the final boss. This is mainly due to the misconception that you have to beat the bosses as you come across them, so a large portion of players just gives up.
Only 11.4% of PlayStation players have platinumed Elden Ring by obtaining all trophies.
(Source: PSN Profiles)
- An average of 17.7% of players have completed the collection achievements.
- 74.7% of players have never reached Roundtable Hold.
For the PlayStation stats, the story is basically the same, with similar percentages aside from the fact that more players have Platinumed Elden Ring on PlayStation than on Steam.
The average age of Elden Ring players is between 25 and 28 years old.
- 9.8% of players are between 17 and 20 years old.
- 18.6% of players are between 21 and 24 years old.
- 25.2% of players are between 25 and 28 years old.
- 18.4% of players are between 29 and 32 years old.
- 12.9% of players are between 33 and 36 years old.
- 14.8% of players are over the age of 36.
When it comes to the average age of Elden Ring players, these stats are fairly normal since the game is marketed towards the demographics with the highest percentages in the stats.
Elden Ring gameplay stats
Something that all readers should consider is that Elden Ring is an absolutely massive game and that there is an astronomical number of things to do. It is the biggest and most ambitious FromSoftware title to date so it’s also interesting to take a look at some in-game numbers.
Dark Souls III only had 19 bosses in the entire game, Elden Ring has 180 bosses.
- 12 of them are mandatory to complete the game.
- The area with the most bosses is Liurnia of the Lakes with 29 bosses.
- The boss that the least number of players have beaten on Steam is Dragonlord Placidusax at 26.8%.
- The most commonly-defeated boss is Margit, The Fell Omen at 74.9% completion.
Through the list of bosses, we can see that Elden Ring has really stepped up its ambition and number of bosses, as Dark Souls III only had 19 bosses in the entire game, with some of them being optional.
Elden Ring’s map is 30.5 square miles or 79 square kilometers.
- Elden Ring’s map has 300 travel locations.
While Elden Ring’s map is not quite the same size as other popular games such as the Witcher III or The Crew 2, it is still massive and contains an incredible amount of detail and things to explore.
The average time to complete the main story of Elden Ring is 52.5 hours.
- It takes the average player a total of 52.5 hours to finish only the main story of Elden Ring.
- If you plan to complete the main story as well as all of the side quests, it can take you 98 hours.
- If you’re a completionist, a run at the main story, side quests, as well as achievements will take you 131 hours on average.
When the developers of Elden Ring said the game was a true open-world adventure, they definitely weren’t lying. Whereas some one-shot games can take you about 10 hours to complete, Elden Ring can easily set you back by hundreds of hours, not accounting for how many times you die and how quickly you like to go through the story.
Elden Ring Twitch stats
The hype surrounding the release of Elden Ring has been apparent on the Twitch scene as well, with the game accumulating millions of hours of broadcasting time. This is largely due to the fact that people were very curious to see what the newest FromSoftware game was like. Let’s take a look at some streaming stats just to see the scale of the popularity of Elden Ring.
Fans have spent 274 million hours watching Elden Ring on Twitch.
- Elden Ring has seen 11.5 million hours of broadcasting time since the game’s release.
- These hours were broadcast by a total of 727,513 broadcasters.
The total number of hours fans have spent watching Elden Ring is astonishing since you also have other games like God of War which has been hailed as one of the best games of 2018, yet it only had 19 million by comparison.
The peak number of viewers Elden Ring has had since its release is 908,307.
- The average number of viewers per Elden Ring broadcast since its release is 31,300.
The peak viewer count for the game was on the same day as its release, which is no surprise as the entire community came together to take a look at something that had been brewing for years.
Elden Ring has the 45th-highest average viewers on Twitch.
- Elden Ring’s peak viewer count in the last 30 days jumped by 100 places, ranking it 46th on the entirety of Twitch.
- The average viewer-to-channel ratio for Elden Ring is 18.6.
Even though it has been a few months since the game came out, the average viewer and peak viewer ratings have been going up, which means Elden Ring is quite popular on Twitch, even for casual streams and casual viewers.
To sum up
And there you have it, a complete perspective on the success of Elden Ring and everything that makes it one of, if not the best game to come out in 2022. We can see that the numbers surrounding the game, such as total Twitch views and ratings are astronomical even among the top-rated games of 2022. Elden Ring has really shaped up to be one of the best games to ever come out, and we’re happy to be talking about the game and delivering all of the information you could want about it. We sincerely hope that the information we have presented here is satisfactory and that you learned something about Elden Ring that you didn’t know before.
- “Elden Ring reviews – our roundup of the critics’ scores”. PCGamesN, 2022, https://www.pcgamesn.com/elden-ring/reviews-scores
- “Elden Ring review – an unrivaled masterpiece of design and inventiveness”. The Guardian, 2022, https://www.theguardian.com/games/2022/feb/23/elden-ring-review-an-unrivalled-masterpiece-of-design-and-inventiveness
- “From Software’s latest is a masterpiece of open-world design that places exploration and player agency at the heart of the experience.”. GameSpot, 2022, https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/elden-ring-review-death-of-the-wild/1900-6417832/
- “Elden Ring Review”. GameInformer, 2020, https://www.gameinformer.com/review/elden-ring/absolutely-astonishing-adventure
- “Elden Ring review”. PCGamer, 2022, https://www.pcgamer.com/elden-ring-review/
- “Elden Ring review: “Suffering has never been as much fun””. GamesRadar, 2022, https://www.gamesradar.com/elden-ring-review/
- “Elden Ring review – Lording it over everything else”. VG247, 2022, https://www.vg247.com/elden-ring-review-pc
- “Review: Elden Ring”. Destructoid, https://www.destructoid.com/reviews/review-elden-ring/
- “Elden Ring Is Currently One of the Best-Reviewed Games in Modern History”. IGN, 2022, https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-best-reviewed-games-modern-history
- “Lifetime unit sales generated by Elden Ring worldwide as of August 2022”. Statista, 2022, https://www.statista.com/statistics/1300663/elden-ring-sales-worldwide/
- “Elden Ring reaches 13.4 million copies sold, as Bandai Namco reports annual revenue of $6.85 billion”. GameWorldObserver, 2022, https://gameworldobserver.com/2022/05/11/elden-ring-reaches-13-4-million-copies-sold-as-bandai-namco-reports-annual-revenue-of-6-85-billion
- “Elden Ring sales hit 16.6 million total with 3.2 million sold in Q1”. TweakTown, 2022, https://www.tweaktown.com/news/88016/elden-ring-sales-hit-16-6-million-total-with-3-2-sold-in-q1/index.html
- “ELDEN RING”. Steam Charts, 2022, https://steamcharts.com/app/1245620
- “ELDEN RING”. PSN Profiles, 2022, https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/15539-elden-ring?order=psn-rarity
- “Global Gameplay Stats: Elden Ring”. Steam, 2022, https://steamcommunity.com/stats/1245620/achievements
- “Elden Ring Player and Growth Stats as of April 2022”. Best Gaming Tips, 2022, https://bestgamingtips.com/elden-ring-statistics/
- “Average age of Elden ring players”. Reddit, 2022, https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/tijepj/average_age_of_elden_ring_players/
- “Bosses”. Fextralife, 2022, https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Bosses
- “Skyrim’s Map Compared To Elden Ring’s Lands Between”. ScreenRant, 2022, https://screenrant.com/skyrim-map-elden-ring-lands-between-big-size/
- “Elden Ring”. How Long To Beat, 2022, https://howlongtobeat.com/game/68151
- “Elden Ring”. SullyGnome, 2022, https://sullygnome.com/game/Elden_Ring/365/summary
- “12 Video Game Worlds Bigger Than Elden Ring”. GameRant, 2022, https://gamerant.com/video-game-worlds-bigger-elden-ring/
- “Elden Ring (2022 video game)”. IMDb, 2022, https://m.imdb.com/title/tt10562854/awards/?ref_=tt_awd