In the growing age of the Internet and market digitalization, one of the most confusing, yet profitable trends to emerge in recent years are NFTs. NFT is an abbreviation for Non-Fungible Tokens, special digital/physical items that have their metadata stored on a blockchain so any other user cannot own them. Some of these NFTs can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Why is that? Frankly, we have no idea but we’re here to talk about some NFT game statistics anyway, so we should get into that. NFT games, while a particular niche of gaming in general, are still quite prevalent in the gaming world, and tend to rake in a decent amount of profit wherever they are introduced. Before we delve deeper into some crypto mysteries, if you want to know how much the esports industry is worth, you can check that out too. Some extra knowledge never hurt anyone.
NFT games key stats
In this first section, we are going to be taking a look at some general stats concerning the NFT gaming scene in general, from the total revenue in the industry to some of the most popular games and the strides they have made to improve the gaming industry. The games themselves are fairly interesting even though we are talking about a very new gaming platform that may or may not even exist in the years to come, so the information surrounding it is bound to change in the coming months/years.
Axie Infinity is the most popular NFT game with $1.3 billion in earnings in 2022.
- It achieved a daily peak of $17.6 million in revenue on August 6th, 2021.
- It was the first NFT game to reach $4 billion in sales volume.
- 2.8 million unique players own 11 million Axies, which are the fictional “Pokemon” of this game.
The first line of stats we have for you is concerned with the most popular NFT game on the market right now — Axie Infinity. This game is a great representation of what NFT gaming is at its core, where you have a relatively simple game concept overlapping with the modernity and marketing strategies of NFTs as a concept.
The freemium gaming skins industry became a $50 billion industry in 2022.
- GameStop established an NFT marketplace for people to use their NFTs in the games they play.
- GameStop accumulated $1 million in sales volume, which resulted in $40,000 on its first day and $405,000 within the first four months.
GameStop has seen a fair bit of popularity in 2022 because of the hedge-fund stock market fiasco, and we can see that GameStop has also gotten into the NFT trend where they offer the possibility for anyone to purchase an NFT and use it in various games. Because of this, the freemium gaming skins market has seen a dramatic uprise in profits, wherein it was officially worth $50 billion in 2022.
Meta has spent over $36 billion on its VR platforms.
(Source: Yahoo Finance)
- Meta has only gained $2.3 billion in revenue since its VR gaming/interaction platform was established.
- The company owns a 90% share of the VR market.
NFT gaming is on a steady rise on the Internet, and the Metaverse, a virtual-reality platform created by Mark Zuckerberg is on an even faster rise. Since Meta is a global company that owns made social media outlets, it is only expected that it would invest billions of dollars into its “next best thing”, which is the Metaverse and Metaverse gaming directly. A good deal of the NFT games you can play can also be enjoyed in the Metaverse, so you should check that out if you have any interest in the budding industry.
Burn Ghost raised 3.1 million in funding for its NFT gaming drive.
- The startup works on the premise of letting anyone play their games and win NFT prizes through casual play.
- They are focusing exclusively on simple, casual games that are accessible to anyone.
- The platform will charge a fee to play games that offer NFT prizes.
- However, users can also earn participation tokens by playing free-to-play games on the same platform.
- The platform will be online in Q1 2023.
The reason a large population of the United States does not even know what P2E/NFT games are is that they usually understand it as a complicated world of new things to understand, as well as the fact that it is simply a new trend, so it hasn’t had the time to get around that much anyway. In either case, Burn Ghost is trying to establish an NFT gaming platform that is accessible to casual gamers so they can experience NFT gaming in a simpler light and maybe even earn some money doing so.
The pay-to-earn NFT market is expected to grow to $2.89 billion in value by 2028.
- The market was worth 788.05 million in 2021.
- The growth of the market is projected to have a 20.41% CAGR by 2028.
And for the final line of stats in this section, we can see that, while the NFT market was definitely worth a lot of money in 2021, it doesn’t even come close to the levels of profit expected in 2028, which are projected to reach nearly $3 billion.
NFT gaming user stats
Of course, when anyone talks about NFTs and NFT gaming, their main focus in the discussion is going to be money. Money is what NFTs are based on, so it only makes sense, but something that people don’t usually talk about in these sorts of settings is the stats regarding the people that play these games and fuel all of the profits. That’s exactly what we are going to do in this section — we’re going to take a look at what NFT game players are up to these days.
69.6% of people in the United States do not know what a P2E game is.
- 13.9% of people know what a P2E game is.
- 7.1% of people intend to play a P2E game at some point.
- 9.4% of people have played a P2E game.
In this line of stats, we can see exactly how new the NFT gaming market is as a vast majority of people in the United States have never even heard of an NFT game, let alone played it. These sorts of statistics represent the western world a bit more, but, as we shall see in the further statistics, NFT gaming has seen much more success in Asian countries than anywhere else.
13.3% of men and 5.6% of women have played an NFT game.
- 9.0% of men and 5.4% of women are planning to play an NFT game at some point.
- 63.2% of men and 75.6% of women don’t know what an NFT game is.
Just like with general gaming trends, we can see that NFTs are much more widespread among men than women, indicating that they have much more interest in the topic and are more likely to pursue NFT gaming at some point.
17% of Millennials are likely to play P2E games.
- 17.5% of people aged 18-34 have played a P2E game.
- 7.3% of people aged 35-54 have played a P2E game.
- 5% of people aged 55+ have played a P2E.
A Millennial is a person that is between 18 and 34 years old, and they alone form the highest percentage of people who have had a positive experience with P2E games. Since the NFT gaming market is still a budding industry that has yet to see its peak, we can expect the general engagement for younger generations to increase as the years go on, and newer generations roll in.
India has the most NFT gamers in the world at 33.8%.
(Source: Finder, Statista, KreedOn)
- India ranks 1st among 26 countries when it comes to NFT gaming.
- The number of NFT gamers is expected to rise by 1.3 times by the end of 2022.
- There were 390 million gamers in India in 2021.
- This means that there are approximately 131.8 million NFT gamers in India.
As we have stated before in previous lines of stats, countries in Asia have a much higher percentage of user engagement for NFT gaming, and India has the top spot with 33.8% of its total gamer population belonging to the NFT genre in some shape or form. While we are expecting the NFT gaming genre to boom in more countries, it is still a high possibility that the market is going to continue being the most popular in Asian countries.
- “Top NFT game Axie Infinity generated $1.3B in revenue last year”. Forkast, 2022, https://forkast.news/headlines/nft-game-axie-infinity-revenue-2021/
- “Gaming Skins Just Became A $50 Billion Industry”. Yahoo Finance, 2022, https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gaming-skins-just-became-50-143352555.html
- “Play Casual Games, Win NFTs: Burn Ghost Raises $3.1M for Gaming Platform”. Decrypt, 2022, https://decrypt.co/115820/play-casual-games-win-nfts-burn-ghost-raises-3-1m-gaming-platform
- “Global Play-to-Earn NFT Games Market 2022 Size Worth USD 2890.29 Mn by 2028 Growing at a CAGR of 20.41% | Industry Size, Growth & Report Analysis”. LinkedIn, 2022, https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/global-play-to-earn-nft-games-market-2022-size-worth-mn-aparna/
- “NFT gaming statistics”. Finder, 2022, https://www.finder.com/nft-games-statistics
- “Number of online gamers in India from financial year 2017 to 2021”. Statista, 2022, https://www.statista.com/statistics/1064010/number-of-online-gamers-india/
- “NFT Gaming Statistics of India & Worldwide | Know global trends of P2E games”. KreedOn, 2022, https://www.kreedon.com/nft-gaming-statistics-of-india-worldwide-know-global-trends-of-p2e-games/