The Monster Hunter franchise has been around since 2004 and has produced some of the best large-scale RPG games you could ask for. Their gameplay is centered around your character traversing large landscapes in search of giant monsters to take down. While the games have their own storylines, most of them are focused on hunting the monsters for research purposes. They are excellent games and we’re going to be showing your some Monster Hunter statistics to see how the series has performed over the years and where it is going in the future. All of the games are awesome in their own rights and you can be sure that there is a lot of information to check out! Other than that, we highly recommend reading up on how much the video game industry is worth!
Monster Hunter key stats
This section is going to house all of the Monster Hunter statistics we have as there is not enough information available to warrant multiple sections. We’ll go over everything from sales and revenue statistics to relevant news postings surrounding the state of the franchise and where it is going in the future. There are a whopping twenty-five Monster Hunter games in the series, so you can be sure that we will not be short on content!
The Monster Hunter series has sold 90.3 million copies worldwide.
(Source: VG Chartz)
- Monster Hunter Tri sold 4.50 million copies.
- Monster Hunter 4 sold 8.30 million copies.
- Monster Hunter: World sold 20 million copies.
- Monster Hunter Rise sold 12 million copies.
- Monster Hunter: Freedom sold 1.30 million copies.
- Monster Hunter: Freedom 2 sold 2.40 million copies.
- Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite sold 3.80 million copies.
- Monster Hunter: Portable 3rd sold 4.90 million copies.
- Monster Hunter Stories: Wings of Ruin sold 1.70 million copies.
- Monster Hunter: Generations sold 8.80 million copies.
As we can see, the Monster Hunter series has generated a tremendous number of sales since the first game was released in 2004, and not even all of the games are accounted for due to a lack of information! Monster Hunter: World is definitely the most popular game in the series with its 20 million sales, but that does not sell the other games short as they are quite enjoyable as well.
Monster Hunter: World and Monster Hunter Rise grossed over $437.3 million on Steam.
(Source: VG Insights)
- Monster Hunter: World grossed $332.8 million at 10.3 million units sold.
- Monster Hunter Rise grossed $104.5 million at 2.8 million units sold.
- Both of the games have positive review rates of over 86%.
- The average playtime for Monster Hunter: World is 385.8 hours.
- The average playtime for Monster Hunter Rise is 98.5 hours.
Right off the bat, we can see the monstrous (heh) sales numbers recorded in Monster Hunter: World, as it grossed over $300 million on its own, leading to massive success for Capcom on Steam. Monster Hunter Rise, on the other hand, did not perform as well but it was still a notable hit in the gaming community as people simply loved the game and everything it had to offer.
Monster Hunter World’s sales were leaked in 2020.
(Source: VG Leaks)
- The game sold 5.717 million copies on PC.
- The game sold 5.509 million copies on PS4.
- The game sold 2.237 million copies on Xbox.
- It sold considerably more copies on PS4 in Japan than it did on PC (236,000 vs 2.184 million)
While leaks are usually something too good for any company that doesn’t want to disclose all of their sales, it’s good news for us because that means that we can display vital information much more easily. However, keep in mind that these sales were leaked in 2020 and are likely higher than displayed here.
Monster Hunter: World was behind Capcom’s most profitable year ever.
(Source: Games Industry)
- The excellent sales milestones were crossed back in 2018 when World had just sold 7.8 million copies.
- Capcom had net sales of $867.5 million, which was an 8.4% increase compared to the previous year.
- Their operating income was $160.6 million, a 17.5% increase.
- March 2018 was the fifth consecutive year that Capcom noted increases in operating income.
- Their operating income increased by 21.2% to $140.5 million.
- Capcom’s game with the most sales before this point in Monster Hunter: World was Resident Evil 5, at 7.3 million sales.
Capcom’s financial status saw a tremendous increase compared to previous years, indicating that Monster Hunter: World was a very successful game, both in community popularity and financials. Given that this was such a success, it isn’t a stretch to expect more content related to Monster Hunter to release in the future.
The Monster Hunter movie cost $60 million to make.
(Sources: KitGuru, GamesIndustry, The Numbers)
- The movie was filmed in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Mr. X the group that worked on the Resident Evil movies supplied the special effects.
- The movie grossed $47.8 million at the worldwide box office.
- The movie generated over $2.2 million during its opening weekend.
- It has a rating of 5.2/10 on IMDb.
Even though the Monster Hunter movie did have stellar reviews when it came to fan approval, it still made some solid profits for the producers and is a relatively enjoyable watch in any case. $47 million is quite a good number to aim for by game adaptation standards, and this movie thinly walks the line of the standard mediocrity of video game adaptations.
Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak sold over 5 million copies.
(Sources: Game Developer, Twitter)
- The expansion for Monster Hunter Rise was released in June 2022.
- Sunbreak also shipped over 2 million units in its first week.
- For comparison, the game itself sold over 12 million copies.
- The developers released an in-game item pack for all players to celebrate.
When a DLC for a game sells nearly half as many copies as the base game, you know it’s going to be something worthwhile and enjoyable to play. The reviews for the DLC have said that its story might even be better than the base game, something you only see in games with world-class DLC, such as The Witcher’s Blood and Wine or Hearts of Stone expansions. In any case, Sunbreak was a massive success and it bodes well for the future of Monster Hunter Rise.
Monster Hunter: World and Rise had a combined 87.09 million hours watched on Twitch in their best years.
- Monster Hunter: World had over 52.2 million hours watched in 2018.
- Monster Hunter Rise had over 34.8 million hours watched in 2022.
- Monster Hunter: World had 2.3 million broadcasting hours in 2018.
- Monster Hunter Rise had 1.9 million hours watched in 2022.
- On average, 5,965 people were watching Monster Hunter: World.
- On average, 3,976 people we watching Monster Hunter Rise.
- Both of the games had viewer ratios over 15.
- Monster Hunter: World had the higher peak player count at 169,921.
One of the best ways to gauge the popularity of a game is to see how it performs on the mother of all streaming platforms — Twitch. Monster Hunter Rise and World are the newest installments in the franchise, so it only makes sense that they would take the spotlight for relevance when it comes to viewership and references to the current popularity of the games. We can see that Monster Hunter: World was an absolute hit in the gaming community as it gathered dozens of millions of views within a single year, commonplace among AAA games.
Monster Hunter: World was the first PS4 game to surpass 1 million first-week sales in Japan.
(Source: RPG Site)
- The game shipped 5 million copies in its first three days.
- The game sold 1.35 million physical copies in its first three days in Japan.
- Digital sales included, the developers expected total sales to reach 2 million.
- They gave it the highest possible sell-through estimation level at 80%-100%.
This is just another way of looking at the popularity of Monster Hunter: World as a game that smashed records when it came out and continued to do so for a long time following. Most video games do not sell as well in Japan as they do in the West, largely due to differences in perceived quality and hype.
To sum up
Alright, that would conclude everything we have to say about the Monster Hunter series. Granted, most of the information we have presented here is more oriented toward Monster Hunter: World and Rise, but that is because they are the most popular games in recent times and currently hold the spotlight when it comes to presenting the Monster Hunter series at the highest standard. The Monster Hunter series has produced some real gems since the first game came out and we’re glad that we can present everything here for you to peruse!
- “Monster Hunter (Series)”. VG Chartz, 2023, https://www.vgchartz.com/game/226041/monster-hunter/?region=All
- “MONSTER HUNTER RISE – Steam Stats”. VG Insights, 2023, https://vginsights.com/game/1446780
- “Monster Hunter: World – Steam Stats”. VG Insights, 2023, https://vginsights.com/game/582010
- “We’re thrilled to share that Monster Hunter Rise: #Sunbreak has sold more than 5 million units worldwide across Nintendo Switch and PC/Steam!”. Twitter, 2023, https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/1615575865781354500
- “Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak has topped 5 million sales”. Game Developer, 2023, https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/monster-hunter-rise-sunbreak-has-topped-5-million-sales
- “Monster Hunter World sales leaked by platform”. VG Leaks, 2020, https://vgleaks.com/monster-hunter-world-sales-leaked-by-platform/
- “Monster Hunter: World drives Capcom’s most profitable year ever”. Games Industry, 2018, https://www.gamesindustry.biz/monster-hunter-world-drives-capcoms-most-profitable-year-ever
- “Monster Hunter (2020)”. The Numbers, 2020, https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Monster-Hunter-(2020)#tab=summary
- “Monster Hunter is getting a $60 million movie adaptation”. KitGuru, 2018, https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/monster-hunter-is-getting-a-60-million-movie-adaptation/
- “Monster Hunter movie makes $2.2m in US opening weekend”. GamesIndustry, 2020, https://www.gamesindustry.biz/monster-hunter-movie-makes-usd2-2m-in-us-opening-weekend
- “Monster Hunter Rise”. SullyGnome, 2022, https://sullygnome.com/game/Monster_Hunter_Rise/2022
- “Monster Hunter: World”. SullyGnome, 2018, https://sullygnome.com/game/Monster_Hunter_World/2018
- “Monster Hunter: World is the first PS4 title to surpass 1 million sales on the first week in Japan”. RPG Site, 2018, https://www.rpgsite.net/news/6699-monster-hunter-world-is-the-first-ps4-title-to-surpass-1-million-sales-on-the-first-week-in-japan