When it comes to survival-horror games, it is hard to beat the Resident Evil franchise. Over the years, this series has achieved legendary status in the gaming community and spawned many new titles and spinoffs to add more content to the pile. The main premise of the vast majority of Resident Evil games is a zombie outbreak coupled with political ideology and a power struggle between the main players in the series.
There are 9 main games in the series that move the story forward, and the first editions have been receiving considerable remakes in 2022 going forward, so we would like to take a look back on the series and see what kind of numbers the Resident Evil franchise has generated. For this, we have prepared some Resident Evil statistics and facts for you to enjoy. We sincerely hope this information is of good use to you and if you want to read more stuff like this, take a look at some video game industry statistics and facts!
Resident Evil franchise sales stats
Before we dive into the user stats of the Resident Evil franchise, we first have to take a look at the total sales the series has amassed over the years. The franchise is among the most popular video game series of all time, and there are a lot of numbers to look into to give you a perspective on the importance of this series for gaming in general. Let’s take a look.
Resident Evil is the best-selling horror game series of all time, with over 135 million copies sold.
(Source: VG Chartz)
- Resident Evil 4 Remake has sold over 4 million units since its release on March 24, 2023.
- The highest-selling Resident Evil game is Resident Evil 5 at 13.1 million units sold.
- The lowest-selling Resident Evil game is Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles at 1.3 million units sold.
127 million units sold is an astronomical number for any industry and these numbers serve as a reminder that when something is executed properly, it can lead to fantastic sales and a massive imprint on the gaming industry.
After the Street Fighter franchise, the Resident Evil franchise has made the most money for Capcom.
(Source: VG Sales)
- In total, the resident evil series has made over $9 billion since the first game.
- This makes the Resident Evil franchise the second-highest grossing Capcom series after Street Fighter which has accumulated $12.2 billion in revenue.
- Adjusting for inflation, the Resident Evil game that has amassed the most revenue is Resident Evil 5 at $790 million.
- The lowest-grossing Resident Evil game was Biohazard 4: Mobile Edition with $42,000 in revenue.
With the constant, and even rising popularity of the Street Fighter franchise, we can understand why the Resident Evil franchise falls a little short of Street Fighter, but the numbers that Resident Evil has raked in over the years are still very impressive. It is, without a doubt, the most popular horror video game series ever!
The remakes for Resident Evil 2 and 3 sold more copies than the originals.
(Source: VG Chartz)
- In total, the original versions of Resident Evil 2 and 3 sold 8.46 million copies.
- In contrast, the remakes of those same games sold 15.4 million copies in total.
For those of you that have been long-time fans of the Resident Evil series, you have most likely enjoyed the original versions of the game in their full glory. The first three games in the series have been hailed as some of the scariest games ever to come out (especially if you remember that one zombie scene from Resident Evil 1…). Even though the original games are very popular, the remakes are simply too much of an improvement on the base games to even come close to them in terms of sales.
Resident Evil franchise user stats
Now that we have checked out some of the numbers behind the sales of the Resident Evil franchise. We can take a look at where those sales went and how many people play the games. When it comes to the global stats, Capcom has only recently started monitoring them, so we do not have stats for all of the games, unfortunately. However, we do have the global stats for two of the remakes, as well as RE7 and RE8.
The Resident Evil series has seen over 33.5 million hours of broadcasting on Twitch.
- The most streamed game of the series is Resident Evil 2 Remake with 7.6 million total hours watched in the last year.
- The least-streamed game of the series is Resident Evil 6 with 1.1 million hours watched in the last year.
- Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil Village, with 16 years between them, have nearly the same viewing time at around 5.85 million hours watched in the last year.
33 million hours is a massive amount of time that went into these games on Twitch, and it is through these stats that we can see the true scale of the popularity of the Resident Evil franchise through Twitch, and that goes without even mentioning the popularity of the movies.
Players have spent over 23,762 years playing the remake of Resident Evil 2.
- 78% of players chose Leon for their playthrough.
- 22% of players chose Claire for their playthrough.
- Leon has been played 23,809,718 times, while Claire has been played 17,342,439 times.
- 23,762 years spent playing.
- 526,420,937 kilometers traveled.
- 2,519,191,557 enemies killed.
- 2,322,835,391 enemies were killed with the Combat Knife.
- 15,478,438,684 enemies were killed with Handguns.
- 8,139,526 tons of ammunition were used.
- 0.26% of player deaths were caused by explosions.
- 8.85% of player deaths were caused by getting smashed by things.
- 2,284,534 players stared at the mayor’s daughter’s body.
- 246,819,682 items discarded.
- 90,580,740 Tyrant kilometers traveled.
- 1,507,913,552 cockroaches triggered.
- Players have spent 671 years, 202 days, 11 hours, and 15 minutes solving puzzles.
- 1,684,535 players have played the R.P.D. Demo.
The first line of stats we have for you is from the remake of Resident Evil 2, and through these stats, we can see that the remake of Resident Evil 2 is the most popular out of all the games, simply due to the sheer amount of time players have put into the game.
Resident Evil 3 Remake players have spent 8,698 years playing the game.
- 54,388,617 players died to the Nemesis.
- 69,191,367 players killed the Nemesis.
- Resident Evil 3 was cleared 15,239,307 times.
- Resident Evil 3 was cleared 9,040,613 times.
- 41.13% of the game’s clears have been on Standard difficulty.
- 7.55% of the game’s clears have been on the highest difficulty.
- 1,243,367,246 enemies were killed with the Knife.
- 4,769,636,699 enemies were killed with the Handgun.
- 17,229,738,157 enemies were killed with the Assault Rifle.
- 244,797,871 Flame Rounds were used with the Grenade Launcher.
- 57,470,840 red canisters blown up.
- 132,303,704 locks picked.
- 41,154,432 chains cut.
- 1,754,065,803 quick steps and perfect dodges were performed.
- 171,623,823 shoulder charges and cross punches were performed.
- 22,325,195 times vomited.
- 1,026,958,970 bugs expelled by Green Herbs.
- 1,982634,330 kilowatts discharged.
- Dario was listened to 2,008,637 times.
Here, we can see that the remake of Resident Evil 3 is the least popular of the games, and the reason for that is not very conclusive. In any case, the game has still seen a good deal of playtime and players have raked in some considerable achievements since its release.
Resident Evil 7 players have spent 12,373 years playing the game.
- 11,260,001 players enabled the data transmission option.
- 1,146,336 users play the game with VR equipment.
- 12,373 years of in-game time spent.
- 360,485,502 kilometers traveled.
- 783,805,165 enemies were killed.
- 499,099,265 enemies were killed with headshots.
- 3,206,215,335 doors were opened.
- 342,138,774 doors were closed.
- 58% of players managed to hit Jack with the car and not vice versa.
- 21,110,628 insect nests were birthed.
- 35,231,733 traps were triggered.
- 10,470,692 bras were examined.
- 47,100,722 herbs were eaten.
- 354,416 Ethan Must Die clears.
- 6,199,689 deaths in the same mode.
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard was the first game to display everything in a first-person perspective in order to shift the general feel of the game back to the horror genre, placing us in a derelict house with a strange family and seemingly no way of escape. Because of this, the game was massively popular when it came out, and these stats reflect that very well.
Resident Evil Village players have spent 10,417 years playing the game.
- 4,414,224 times played.
- 5,440,261 times cleared.
- 10,417 years of playtime.
- 229,013,935 kilometers traveled.
- 1,616,374,759 enemies killed.
- 1,845,784,994 LEMIs used.
- 4,241,078 deaths to the Lycans.
- 107,490,937 First Aid Meds crafted.
- 25,756,339 salmon caught.
- 77,009,648 environmental combat elements used.
- 9,370,399,663,772 Lei earned.
- 8,073,943,558,639 Lei spent.
Even though this is the newest installment of the Resident Evil franchise before some more notable remakes and the new edition of Resident Evil Village, you can’t deny that this game has raked in some fairly impressive stats since its release. Resident Evil Village had a fantastic gameplay dynamic and an interesting story, so it’s no wonder that the game has achieved such impressive stats.
Resident Evil media stats
The thing that makes Resident Evil such an appealing franchise is the setting, which is packed with intense action, a fantastic story, as well as memorable characters that many people identify with and idolize. Because of this, many people have taken the step forward to create a few adaptations in the form of comics and movies, and we are going to be taking a look at some of them to see how they present the games.
With 10 movies, the Resident Evil series has had the most live-action movie adaptations out of any video game.
(Source: Game Informer, Rotten Tomatoes)
- The Resident Evil series claimed the record for most movie adaptations of a video game.
- The highest-rated Resident Evil show on Rotten Tomatoes is Resident Evil: Damnation, with a Tomatometer of 100%.
There have been many Resident Evil movies over the years, and that is because the games themselves have a fantastic story that is hard to get away from. The movies have ranged in quality tremendously, as have the series. In any case, most of the movies and series are fairly entertaining, so they are worth a watch or two.
The Resident Evil movie series has grossed over $1.2 billion in revenue.
(Source: The Numbers)
- The highest-grossing Resident Evil movie is Resident Evil: The Final Chapter with $314 million in revenue.
- The lowest-grossing Resident Evil movie is Resident Evil: Vendetta with only $191,408 in revenue.
With total revenue of 1.2 billion dollars, you can be sure that the Resident Evil movies are more than entertaining enough to warrant watching. These numbers are massive and we can see that the Resident Evil movie franchise has taken a good deal of inspiration from the games.
Resident Evil (2022) had an average rating of 4.8/10, making it one of the worst-rated Netflix shows ever.
(Source: Rotten Tomatoes, Television Stats)
- The series has an audience score of 26% on Rotten Tomatoes.
- Resident Evil (2022) was canceled by Netflix after only one season.
- The series is currently ranked at the 622nd position on IMDb.
Now we get to one of the more disappointing aspects of the series, the Netflix show that came out in July 2022. Even since the first episode, we have seen some haunting reviews of the show that criticize every aspect of it and we can’t sugarcoat it, it’s just bad, don’t watch it.
The series has seen 21 novelizations of the games and the movies.
(Source: Resident Evil Fandom)
- S.D. Perry has written 7 novels for the Resident Evil series.
- When it comes to movie novelizations, there have been 5 titles released.
- Osamu Makino wrote 4 novels regarding the Resident Evil games.
Aside from television shows and movies, the Resident Evil series has seen some pretty nice novelizations as well! These novels are direct tie-ins with the main story of the games, with some of them also tying in with the story of some of the movies, for a more complete experience. Overall, we would say that these novels are great reads, and there are even some comic books if you like that as well.
To sum up
And there you go! The Resident Evil series is one of the best horror game series that presents us with a mind-blowing story and some varying gameplay dynamics so each game is a new experience with the same Resident Evil flair. As we have seen from these statistics and facts, the Resident Evil games are massively popular around the world with many gamers, and such popularity has warranted the creation of many awesome movies and TV shows, which we can’t get enough of.
Overall, we would say that Resident Evil in itself is a masterpiece of a franchise that has achieved legendary status, and we are glad that we can present you with all of the information about the series just to shed some light on the achievements and progress the series has made over the years. We sincerely hope that you have learned something new about Resident Evil and that you can appreciate all of its value in more depth!
- “Resident Evil (Series)”. VGChartz, 2022, https://www.vgchartz.com/game/226039/resident-evil/
- “Resident Evil”. VGSales, 2022, https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Resident_Evil
- “Resident Evil: Damnation” Rotten Tomatoes, 2012, https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/resident_evil_damnation
- “Box Office History for Resident Evil Movies”. The Numbers, 2021, https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Resident-Evil#tab=summary
- “Resident Evil novels”. Resident Evil Wiki, 2017, https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Resident_Evil_novels
- “Resident Evil”. Television Stats, 2022, https://televisionstats.com/s/resident-evil
- “Guinness World Records 2012 Gamer’s Edition Preview”. Game Informer, 2011, https://levvvel.com/elden-ring-statistics-and-facts/
- “Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (2016)”. The Numbers, 2016, https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Resident-Evil-The-Final-Chapter#tab=summary
- “S.D. Perry series”. Resident Evil Wiki, 2019, https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/S.D._Perry_series
- “Resident Evil ratings (TV show, 2022-2022)”. Ratin Graph, 2022, https://www.ratingraph.com/tv-shows/resident-evil-ratings-99163/
- “Resident Evil”. IMDb, 2022, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9660182/
- “‘Resident Evil’ one of Netflix’s worst rated shows ever”. NME, 2022, https://www.nme.com/news/tv/resident-evil-one-of-netflixs-worst-rated-shows-ever-3271752
- “GLOBAL STATS”. Capcom, 2022, https://game.capcom.com/residentevil/en/twostats.html
- “WORLD RECORDS”. Capcom, 2022, https://game.capcom.com/residentevil/en/threestats.html
- “GLOBAL STATS”. Capcom, 2022, https://game.capcom.com/residentevil/en/sevenrecord.html
- “GLOBAL STATS”. Capcom, 2022, https://game.capcom.com/residentevil/en/villagestats.html
- “Resident Evil 4”. SullyGnome, 2022, https://sullygnome.com/game/Resident_Evil_4
- “Resident Evil 5”. SullyGnome, 2022, https://sullygnome.com/game/Resident_Evil_5
- “Resident Evil 6”. SullyGnome, 2022, https://sullygnome.com/game/Resident_Evil_6
- “Resident Evil 7”. SullyGnome, 2022, https://sullygnome.com/game/Resident_Evil_7_biohazard
- “Resident Evil Village”. SullyGnome, 2022, https://sullygnome.com/game/Resident_Evil_Village
- “Resident Evil 2”. SullyGnome, 2022, https://sullygnome.com/game/Resident_Evil_2
- “Resident Evil 3”. SullyGnome, 2022, https://sullygnome.com/game/Resident_Evil_3_