Games that have the “dynamic duo” aspect are often done well and are extremely fun to play, but you have two sides to those games. One side is similar to games like The Last of Us and A Plague Tale, where the player controls the protagonist only, then you have games that feature constant co-op. Luckily for you, Ratchet & Clank offers both! New releases feature up to 4-player co-op, but you can still play solo if that is your thing. Ratchet and Clank has some of the best action platforming content you could ask for, and we’re going to be taking a look at some Ratchet & Clank statistics and facts for you to peruse. The games have been around for 20 years now, so you can be sure that there is a lot of information to process! Likewise, if you’re interested in some broader topics, why not learn something new about gaming industry revenue?
Ratchet & Clank key stats
This section will contain all of the relevant information about the Ratchet & Clank series, from total copies sold to revenue, and anything else we might be able to find. Something that casual gamers do not know, who haven’t delved deeper into the series, there are actually 15 games! Yes, 15 Ratchet & Clank games across 20 years, and all of them are excellent!
The Ratchet & Clank series has sold 30.8 million copies across all games.
(Source: VG Chartz)
- The original Ratchet & Clank sold 3.7 million copies.
- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando sold 2.9 million copies.
- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal sold 3.2 million copies.
- Ratchet: Deadlocked sold 2.1 million copies.
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction sold 1 million copies.
- Ratchet & Clank (2016) sold 3.71 million copies.
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart sold 1.1 million copies.
Okay, right off the bat, we can see that there is a relatively even distribution of sales across the Ratchet & Clank series and that those sales do not go above 4 million per game. The original game and its 2016 edition sold the most copies, which just goes to show how popular the series has been since the first game came out. Either way, 30 million+ sales across a series is an extremely healthy number to aim for.
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart won four prizes at the DICE awards.
(Source: WCCF Tech)
- It won an Outstanding Achievement in Animation.
- It won an Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction.
- It won an Outstanding Technical Achievement.
- It won Family Game of the Year.
The quality of the games is apparent when you look a the standard that the newest game has set in the gaming industry in recent years. Four awards at the DICE awards and many more awards and nominations across other platforms show us that Rift Apart was a fantastic game despite its poor sales compared to other titles.
Sony bought Insomniac Games in 2019.
(Sources: VG247, ScreenRant)
- The price Sony had to pay for the studio was $229 million.
- The deal secured Ratchet & Clank, Spyro, Spider-Man, and Resistance for Sony.
- Insomniac Games became Sony’s 14th World-Wide Studios team.
Insomniac is a massive game developer that blessed the PlayStation community with the best Spider-Man game to come out ever. Spider-Man and its sequel, Miles Morales, are fantastic games and it is a great thing to see Sony make big moves in acquiring Insomniac.
The Ratchet and Clank movie grossed $14.3 million at the worldwide box office.
(Source: The Numbers)
- The domestic box office yielded $8.8 million.
- The international box office yielded $5.5 million.
- It made $4.8 million on its opening weekend.
- Total estimated domestic video sales equaled $2 million.
Video game adaptations to film and TV shows have a reputation for being… not the best, except for some honorable exceptions in recent years. Those are proof that you can make something excellent by taking the right approach. The Ratchet & Clank movie, however, did not manage to leave the same impression. It grossed a decent amount of money, but it failed to meet both community and financial expectations.
Rainmaker Entertainment, the producer of the Ratchet & Clank movie, lost $7.5 million because of its debut.
(Source: Cartoon Brew)
- Rainmaker Entertainment put up 63% of the production cost for the movie.
- The sum lost in the $7.5 million also included marketing costs amounting to $1-4 million.
This is one of the ways we can look at the Ratchet & Clank movie as a failure. The producer of the movie lost a tremendous amount of money due to the poor performance of the movie and the backlash that it generated. While some people liked it and some did not, in the end, the financials are everything for producers and Ratchet & Clank did not deliver.
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart could be coming to PC.
- The rumor was based on a job posting looking for a UX/UI designer.
- The posting said that experience in using Coherent middleware was a must.
- Coherent middleware is made by Coherent Labs, and one of the games using it is Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.
- This indicates that Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart might be coming to PC.
This is good news for long-time fans of the series that do not own a PlayStation 5, but do own a PC. The game is a PlayStation exclusive, just like Spider-Man was, but you never know how things can change. With the revealed job posting being rumored to include Ratchet & Clank, all we can do is wait and see if the series moves to multiple platforms.
A fan remade Ratchet & Clank in Unreal Engine.
- The project started on July 29, 2017, and has been going on for five years.
- The creator has noted how difficult solo game development is and how they lost motivation but kept at it.
- The video they posted ended up being shown in Insomniac’s studio, prompting Darius Salary, an Insomniac Designer to respond with words of encouragement.
The dedication to games that the community shows is really awe-inspiring sometimes. You have modders creating entire DLCs in games like Skyrim and Fallout, and you have cases like Beta Tester, who has been working on an Unreal Engine adaptation for Ratchet and Clank for years. Designing a simple game can be very difficult and annoying, but undertaking something like this is at another level entirely. Here is the video for those of you who are curious.
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Aparthad 5.4 million hours watched on Twitch in 2021.
- This was the best Twitch year for Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.
- The game had 216,441 broadcasting hours.
- It had an average of 623 viewers.
- It had a viewer ratio of 25.2.
- Its max viewer count was 136,252.
- 21,869 broadcasters streamed the game.
In the final line of stats, we can see how popular the game was on Twitch during its most successful year — 2021. All in all, it did not have as many broadcasting hours as some bigger games had in their prime, but this still means that the game had a healthy following for an entire year, with subsequent years not being too far behind. Should a new Ratchet and Clank game come out, we expect to see even more Twitch engagement than this.
To sum up
This is where our adventure comes to an end! As you can see, Ratchet and Clank has created quite a reputation for itself as a series that fans of the platforming genre can come back to whenever they want and the experience will be better and better each time. The games have acquired millions of followers and the achievements that some of the games have made are quite impressive. At the moment, besides a possible PC port of Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, there is no more information about where the series is going in the future, but we will make sure to update this with any relevant information we might find! We hope that you have enjoyed the information we have presented here and that you have learned something new!
- “Ratchet & Clank (Series)”. VG Chartz, 2021, https://www.vgchartz.com/game/226309/ratchet-amp-clank/
- “It Takes Two Gets GOTY at DICE Awards; Ratchet & Clank Wins Big”. WCCF Tech, 2022, https://wccftech.com/it-takes-two-gets-goty-at-dice-awards-ratchet-clank-wins-big/
- “Sony buys Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank developer Insomniac Games”. VG247, 2019, https://www.vg247.com/sony-buys-spider-man-ratchet-clank-developer-insomniac-games
- “Why Sony’s Insomniac Purchase Was Worth the (Huge) Price”. ScreenRant, 2020, https://screenrant.com/sony-buys-insomniac-worth-price-games/
- “Ratchet and Clank (2016)”. The Numbers, 2016, https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Ratchet-and-Clank#tab=summary
- “Rainmaker Loses CDN$10 Million on ‘Ratchet & Clank,’ Blames Disney For Failure”. Cartoon Brew, 2016, https://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/rainmaker-loses-10-million-ratchet-clank-blames-disney-failure-139760.html
- “Next Playstation to PC port from Nixxes”. Reddit, 2023, https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/11qhflo/next_playstation_to_pc_port_from_nixxes/?ref=share&ref_source=embed&utm_content=body&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=d01b49d3e49d4a96a3fe27efa402d6d0&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=11qhflo
- “Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart Could Be Coming To PC, According To Job Listing”. TheGamer, 2023, https://www.thegamer.com/ratchet-clank-rift-apart-coming-to-pc-according-job-listing/
- “Fan Spends 5 Years Recreating Ratchet & Clank In Unreal, Video Gets Insomniac’s Attention”. TheGamer, 2022, https://www.thegamer.com/ratchet-and-clank-unreal-engine-recreation/
- “Ratchet & Clank : Unreal Engine Rewind”. YouTube, 2022, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEDrjBQ6I5E
- “Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart”. SullyGnome, 2021, https://sullygnome.com/game/Ratchet_and_Clank_Rift_apart/2021