The Last of Us has been hailed as one of the best single-player story games that have ever come out, largely due to the masterfully-crafted story that tells a tale of loss, failure, hope, and a world in ruin. It follows Joel, a smuggler, and Ellie, a girl that is immune to the zombie virus plaguing the world. The story is immersive and the gameplay is incredibly satisfying when you really get into it. The same goes for The Last of Us Part II which follows Ellie and her journey to find a group of people that have harmed her in the past.
The second game follows some of the same mechanics as the first one, but it is just as great as the first one. Hardcore fans of this series might want to know more about the process Naughty Dog went through to create amazing games such as this. If that is the case, we have prepared some interesting statistics and facts about The Last of Us franchise for you to sate your curiosity.
The Last of Us sales stats
The Last of Us franchise is one of the best-performing ones we have ever seen, amassing millions of purchases and even more playtime after the fact. Seeing the total progress of a game is always fun, and now you can see exactly how many people bought each game!
The Last of Us sold over 17 million copies since its release.
(Source: Gamesradar, Hollywood Reporter)
- The Last of Us sold over 1.3 million units within the first week of its release.
- Over three weeks, that number climbed to 3.4 million.
- It was among the fastest-selling games of 2013.
As you can see, the hype surrounding The Last of Us was astronomical, to say the least, and that was back in 2013. The numbers just keep climbing the more games come out, so let’s take a look at some sales stats for The Last of Us Part II.
The Last of Us Part II beat God of War for fastest-selling PlayStation 4 exclusive.
(Source: PlayStation, Gamesindustry, Pushsquare)
- In its release weekend, The Last of Us Part II made over 4 million sales, beating God of War and Marvel’s Spider-Man in comparable sales at the same time.
- The Last of Us Part II had the biggest release weekend out of any game released in 2020.
- It was the fastest-selling physical PlayStation 4 game in the UK, beating The Last of Us by 76%.
- The Last of Us Part II gained over 10 million sales in just two years of its release.
The Last of Us user stats
The community and fans of The Last of Us series have racked up a ton of playtime, suggesting that all of the games are more than worth playing through multiple times. Here are some general user statistics for The Last of Us, The Last of Us Part II, as well as the remake and remaster.
The Last of Us Remastered has seen over 1.58 million hours of gameplay since its release.
- The total time was gathered by 33,084 players across 927,910 sessions.
- The average play session for each player was 1:43 hours.
It is no surprise that the time invested into The Last of Us Remastered by the community reaches into the millions, but the kicker is that all of that time was logged by just 33K players across multiple sessions. That is some dedication if we’ve ever seen it!
Players have spent 728,909 hours in The Last of Us Part II.
- That time was invested by 17,368 players across 406,227 sessions.
- The average play session for each player was 1:48 hours.
Compared to the performance of the Remastered version of the first game, the numbers that The Last of Us Part II is generating are actually quite good considering that the game has only been out for two years at the time of writing.
The Last of Us award stats
We’ve talked about the story of the games for a bit, and it is a severe understatement to say that they are simply amazing. Of course, very few stories are perfect, but The Last of Us and The Last of Us Part II come pretty close to that classification. Here is a quick overview of all the rewards the games have earned since their release.
The Last of Us franchise has received over 80 awards across both games.
(Sources: Animation Magazine, IGN, Games Radar, PCGamer, Deadline, Hollywood Reporter, GameRevolution, Variety, Gamespot, Shacknews, Games Wirtschaft)
- They won 7 awards at the British Academy Awards.
- The Last of Us Part II earned an award at Deutscher Computerspeilpreis in 2021
- Both games earned 11 awards at the D.I.C.E. Awards.
- Combined, both games won 12 awards at the Game Audio Network Guild Awards in their respective years.
- The Last of Us Part II earned 8 awards at The Game Awards 2020.
- The Last of Us Part II earned 2 awards at the Game Critics Awards in 2018.
- The Last of Us won 3 awards at the Game Developers Choice Awards in 2014.
- The Last of Us Part II won 1 award at the GLAAD Media Awards in 2021.
- Both games won 10 awards at The Golden Joystick Awards in 2013, 2017, 2018, and 2020.
- The Last of Us Part II won an Excellence in Narrative award at the SXSW Gaming Awards in 2021, with The Last of Us winning 4 awards at the same event in 2014.
- The Last of Us Part II won 3 Titanium Awards in 2020.
- The Last of Us Part II won 8 Webby Awards in 2021.
- The Last of Us won awards at both the Annie Awards and the Writers Guild of America Awards on the same day in 2014.
- The Last of Us won 4 awards at the Spike VGX awards in 2013.
- Finally, The Last of Us won 1 award at the New York Game Awards in 2014.
It is insane how many awards the games have received over the years, and that just goes to show how good the games have to be to accomplish something like that. Taking a look at the awards the franchise has seen, most of them can be sectioned off to anything regarding the story, writing, or anything else of that nature. Through this, we can see that a comprehensive, quality story can take an already great game and make it legendary.
The Last of Us Twitch stats
Twitch is one of the biggest platforms for streaming on the Internet. It is all-inclusive, meaning that you can essentially stream anything you want as long as it is not against the TOS. The Last of Us and The Last of Us Part II were very prominent games on Twitch during the release periods, but how are they doing now? Let’s take a look.
The Last of Us Part II had a peak viewer count of 507,556 in 2020.
- These viewers were distributed over 5,900 different channels.
- Since that point, the average viewer peak for this game was 34,888.
- These viewers were distributed over 154 different channels.
As you can see, it is very common for the Twitch popularity of a game to dip after some time. This is largely due to the fact that you can’t squeeze that much content out of the Last of Us and The Last of Us Part II further than one playthrough. Nevertheless, the Last of Us Part II still gets a decent number of viewers on a regular basis, and that is what is important.
The Last of Us Part II jumped 301 Twitch ranks since the release of The Last of Us Part I.
- At 1.2 million hours watched, the total watch time jumped by 1,079% since the start of September 2022.
- In terms of average viewers, The Last of Us Part II ranked 75th in the same time frame.
- Since the release of The Last of Us Part I, the peak viewer count of The Last of Us Part II jumped by 3,638% at 40,708.
- The second game’s rank for peak viewers was 90th at the start of September, which increased by 1,781 ranks.
The Last of Us had a peak viewer count of 123,311 in 2020.
- The Last of Us had a peak viewer count of 123,311 on Twitch in 2020, three days before the peak viewer count of The Last of Us Part II.
- Since 2020, The Last of Us has had an average peak viewer count of 7,100, with an average viewer count of 424.
- These views and peaks were achieved with 1,267 channels.
It is only natural for a game to lose its viewer count many years after its release, but it is also common for viewer rates for a game to increase when a new game comes out. In the case of the Last of Us, we can see that the peak viewer count for the game wasn’t during its release, but rather a few days before the release of The Last of Us Part II.
Both The Last of Us and The Last of Us Part II have a majority of English-speaking channels broadcasting them.
- The main language demographic that streams these games is English, with 1,753 English channels for The Last of Us and 2,692 for The Last of Us Part II.
- The average Spanish channel count for these games is 610.
- The average Portuguese channel count for these games is 358.
There are quite a few channels with different main languages that stream these games, but we can see that the main language is English by a wide margin. This is very common but it is also interesting to note the wide language diversity when it comes to streaming languages.
To sum up
That is all we have to say about The Last of Us franchise in the wake of the remake of the first game that came out shortly before the time of writing. We absolutely love everything about The Last of Us franchise because it has created a footprint in gaming history that is incredibly hard to fill for any zombie adventure game to come out in the future. Everything is masterfully made, from the story to the mechanics, to the characters and their depth.
The Last of Us and The Last of Us Part II have everything you could ever want from a game in this genre and we highly recommend you try them out if you haven’t already. We sincerely hope that you have learned something new from the information we have provided and that you can look at all of these games in a new light!
- The Last of Us is PS3s fastest selling new franchise”. Gamesradar, 2013, https://www.gamesradar.com/last-us-ps3s-fastest-selling-new-ip-history/
- “The Last of Us Part II sells more than 4 million copies”. PlayStation, 2020, https://blog.playstation.com/2020/06/26/the-last-of-us-part-ii-sells-more-than-4-million-copies/
- “The Last of Us Remastered”. ps-timetracker, 2022, https://ps-timetracker.com/game/CUSA00552_00
- “The Last of Us Part II”. ps-timetracker, 2022, https://ps-timetracker.com/game/CUSA10249_00
- “The Last of Us Part 2 smashes sales records | UK Charts”. Games Industry, 2020, https://www.gamesindustry.biz/the-last-of-us-part-2-smashes-sales-records-uk-charts
- “The Last of Us 2 Is the Fastest Selling PS4 Exclusive Ever, Over 4 Million Sold in Three Days”. PushSquare, 2020, https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/06/the_last_of_us_2_is_the_fastest_selling_ps4_exclusive_ever_over_4_million_sold_in_three_days
- “25th Webby Awards Animation Winners”. Animation Magazine, 2021, https://www.animationmagazine.net/2021/05/25th-webby-awards-animation-winners/
- “Todos los ganadores de los Premios Titanium de Fun & Serious Game Festival”. IGN, 2020, https://es.ign.com/fun-serious/169392/news/todos-los-ganadores-de-los-premios-titanium-de-fun-serious-game-festival
- “SXSW Gaming Awards 2021 Winners Announced: Hades Awarded Video Game of the Year”. IGN, 2021, https://www.ign.com/articles/sxsw-gaming-awards-2021-winners-announced-hades-video-game-of-year-award
- “Every winner at the Golden Joystick Awards 2020”. GamesRadar, 2020, https://www.gamesradar.com/every-winner-at-the-golden-joystick-awards-2020/
- “Here are your 2017 Golden Joystick Award winners”. PC Gamer, 2017, https://www.pcgamer.com/here-are-your-2017-golden-joystick-award-winners/
- “GLAAD Media Awards Winners List: ‘Schitt’s Creek’, ‘Disclosure’, ‘Star Trek: Discovery’, ‘We’re Here’ Among Honorees; Deadline’s New Hollywood Podcast Receives Special Recognition”. Deadline, 2021, https://deadline.com/2021/04/glaad-media-awards-schitts-creek-disclosure-star-trek-discovery-were-here-deadline-new-hollywood-podcast-lgbtq-diversity-inclusion-representation-1234729616/
- “‘Hades’ Takes Top Honor at Game Developers Choice Awards”. Hollywood Reporter, 2021, https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/hades-game-developers-choice-awards-winners-list-1234983585/
- “PlayStation and PS4 Won E3 2018, According to Game Critics Awards”. GameRevolution, 2018, https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/402511-playstation-and-ps4-won-e3-2018-according-to-game-critics-awards
- “The Game Awards 2020: Complete Winners List”. Variety, 2020, https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/the-game-awards-winners-list-2020-1234850547/
- “The Game Awards 2017 Winners Headlined By Zelda: Breath Of The Wild’s Game Of The Year”. GameSpot, 2017, https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-game-awards-2017-winners-headlined-by-zelda-br/1100-6455467/
- “G.A.N.G. Awards Winners: ‘The Last of Us Part II’ Leads With Eight Wins”. Variety, 2021, https://variety.com/2021/awards/awards/gang-awards-winners-list-last-of-us-part-two-1234962237/
- “The D.I.C.E. Awards 2021 winners & finalists”. ShackNews, 2021, https://www.shacknews.com/article/123995/the-dice-awards-2021-winners-finalists
- “Deutscher Computerspielpreis 2021: Alle Gewinner im Live-Ticker (Update)”. Games Wirtschaft, 2021, https://www.gameswirtschaft.de/events/computerspielpreis-2021-gewinner-live-ticker-livestream/
- “BAFTA Games Awards: Supergiant Games’ ‘Hades’ Takes Home Top Prize – Complete Winners List”. Deadline, 2021, https://deadline.com/2021/03/bafta-games-awards-2021-hades-takes-home-top-prize-complete-winners-list-1234721128/
- “The Last of Us cleans up at the 2014 Game Developer Choice Awards”. Polygon, 2014, https://www.polygon.com/2014/3/20/5527642/the-2014-game-developer-choice-awards
- “The 12th Annual G.A.N.G. Award Winners Have Been Announced”. Original Sound Version, 2014, http://www.originalsoundversion.com/the-12th-annual-g-a-n-g-award-winners-have-been-announced/
- “BAFTA Games Awards 2014 Winners Announced”. IGN, 2014, https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/13/bafta-games-awards-2014-winners-announced
- “The Last of Us”. Interactive, 2014, https://www.interactive.org/games/video_game_details.asp?idAward=2014&idGame=1353
- “Annie Awards: ‘Frozen’ Wins Big Including Best Feature; Miyazaki Gets Best Writing; Spielberg Honored; ‘Futurama’ & ‘Sofia’ Top TV; ‘Get A Horse!’ Best Short”. Deadline, 2014, https://deadline.com/2014/02/annie-award-winners-2014-animated-film-society-awards-675080/
- “WGA Awards: ‘Captain Phillips’ & ‘Her’ Win Top Film Awards; ‘Breaking Bad’, ‘Veep’ & ‘House Of Cards’ Score On TV Side”. Deadline, 2014, https://deadline.com/2014/02/wga-award-winners-2014-writers-guild-awards-675221/
- “‘Grand Theft Auto V’ Tops Spike VGX 2013 Award Winners List”. GameRant, 2013, https://gamerant.com/vgx-2013-winners-list/
- “The Last of Us Part II”. StreamCharts, 2022, https://streamscharts.com/games/the-last-of-us-part-ii
- “The Last of Us”. StreamCharts, 2022, https://streamscharts.com/games/the-last-of-us
- “The Last of Us Part II”. Sullygnome, 2022, https://sullygnome.com/game/The_Last_of_Us_Part_II/14/summary
- “The Last of Us”. Sullygnome, 2022, https://sullygnome.com/game/The_Last_of_Us