In 2017, battle royale games bloomed into one of the most popular gaming genres, sparking multiple titles into existence and global popularity. If you’re not sure what we are talking about, in battle royale games, you are sent to a map with 99 other players with the goal of being the last one standing. There is a dangerous field closing in on the map in a circular formation until everything is covered. One of these titles was Call of Duty: Warzone, a game with many of the standard elements of the Call of Duty franchise, but with the gameplay dynamic of battle royales. The game saw immediate success with both veteran Call of Duty players and newcomers to the FPS genre. To paint a better picture of the quality of this game, we are going to be providing you with some Call of Duty: Warzone statistics and facts. If you want to learn more about different topics, check out some video game industry statistics and facts!
Call of Duty: Warzone user stats
Now that we have taken a look at some of the revenue stats concerning Call of Duty: Warzone, it is time to examine the community side of things. No game can truly be called good without taking its community into account, and Call of Duty: Warzone has an incredibly dedicated community that puts thousands of hours into the game each day.
On average, there are between 300,000 and 400,000 players in Warzone simultaneously.
- The game had 53 million players from September 2022 to October 2022.
- There are between 1 and 3 million daily logins.
- The peak number of daily players from September 2022 to October 2022 was 3,548,704.
The game has seen its fair share of players over the years, and we can see that the situation in October, while a bit weaker compared to some of its earlier months, is still going strong and there is still a healthy player base. The current number of players hovers somewhere around 300 to 400 thousand, which is more than enough to ensure stability.
Call of Duty: Warzone has had over 125 million global players since its launch.
(Source: Call of Duty)
- In 2021, the game reached 100 million global players.
- There were 28.8 million matches played.
- 26.4 billion parachutes were deployed.
- 8.01 billion teammates were revived.
- 8.33 billion gulag fights were fought.
These are just some global stats for Call of Duty: Warzone at the point when it reached the 100 million player milestone. As you can see, while the stats are a bit limited and we cannot see all of the aspects of the game, players managed to still rack up a ton of impressive numbers and help in shaping Call of Duty: Warzone into what it is today.
Call of Duty: Warzone Mobile had over 15 million pre-registered users in September 2022.
(Source: Dot Esports, Call of Duty)
Fans who pre-registered received two weapons blueprints, one emblem, and one vinyl.
The mobile game initiative that some games have can feel a bit plastic since mobile game UIs are generally clunky and very intrusive. However, that is not the case for Call of Duty: Warzone Mobile since the game is optimized to bring you only what you want to see. The free item promotions from Activision were a nice nudge in the direction of the game and made sure that people would have something to look forward to for signing up. This is evident in the number of pre-registered players on the platform.
22% of Call of Duty: Warzone players are from the United States.
(Source: Player Counter)
- 6% of players were from China.
- 5% of players were from the United Kingdom.
- 5% of players are from Brazil.
- 3% of players are from Germany.
This is a very common occurrence for many popular games today. There is not much more to say aside from the fact that the United States and Europe have the most active Warzone players.
Call of Duty: Warzone revenue stats
Alright, the first thing to consider when you want to understand the scale and success of Call of Duty: Warzone is its total revenue since it came out. The game came out in early March 2020 and has seen some massive strides in both revenue and general success with the player base. As far as we have seen, the game has not stopped growing since its release, and will continue to be the first choice for many fans! Let’s take a look.
Call of Duty: Warzone made approximately $4 billion from 2020 to 2021.
(Source: Charlie Intel)
- In 2020, Warzone and Modern Warfare made $1.93 billion.
- Warzone makes $5.2 million a day.
- This equates to $3,600 per minute.
- In-game purchases are reportedly earning Activision $60 per second.
While Call of Duty: Warzone is a free-to-play game, you cannot deny that the game continues to rake in some fantastic numbers when it comes to its revenue statistics. Of course, these stats that list the amount of money something earns per second can be misleading at times since the market fluctuates constantly and it will not always be the same. However, they serve as good general estimates of how something is performing.
Call of Duty: Warzone raised $1 million for the Call of Duty Endowment charity.
- The goal was to raise $1 million by having Activision donate $1 per 10 virtual kilometers ran in the game.
- Participating and achieving different distance goals could earn players up to three in-game rewards.
- The charity run ended up collecting the $1 million goal.
- The total distance traveled by players was 226.7 million kilometers.
One of the best things that have come from the gaming industry is the massive amount of money donated to charities. Events such as AGDQ (Awesome Games Done Quick) have collected millions of dollars for various charitable organizations, and Call of Duty: Warzone did the same thing. They organized a charity race for the Call of Duty Endowment Fund which donated $1 million based on the virtual distance traveled by its players. It is a fantastic idea and we expect to see more of these runs in the future.
Call of Duty: Warzone esports and Twitch stats
Alright, now that we have taken a look at some of the revenue and use stats, we are now going to take a look at how Call of Duty: Warzone performs on the professional esports scene as well as the Twitch broadcasting scene. Because Call of Duty: Warzone is such a competitive game, it makes sense that it would be extremely popular with people who would much rather watch the game than play it themselves. It is incredibly entertaining, which is a characteristic that every game should have.
Call of Duty: Warzone had 25 million broadcasting hours on Twitch in 2022.
- The game had 436,491,162 hours watched in 2022.
- There were, on average, 49,827 viewers watching the game in 2022.
- 2,835 average channels were streaming the game in 2022.
- Warzone had a viewer ratio of 17.6.
- The max number of viewers the game had was 456,502.
- 943,840 broadcasters were displaying the game in 2022.
- In its most successful month (December 2021), Warzone was ranked 10th by peak viewers, 8th by average viewers, and 2nd by peak channels.
In the period between October 2021 and October 2021, the game has racked up nearly half a billion hours watched on Twitch. This is a massive number and it tells us that the game is just as popular as the year it came out, and we assume that it will remain at that number, or even higher as time goes on.
The biggest Call of Duty: Warzone prize pool was $230,500 at the Twitch Rivals: Doritos Bowl.
(Source: Esports Earnings)
- The rest of the tournaments had prize pools ranging from 200,000 to 1,000.
- In total, Call of Duty: Warzone has awarded $9,435,531.
- There have been 324 Warzone tournaments since the game came out.
- The player with the most earnings is Thomas “Tommey” Trewren with $367,574 in total.
The final line of stats that we have for you is in regard to the biggest Call of Duty: Warzone tournament ever held as well as some general information about the competitive Warzone scene. The top tournament earnings are extremely high, especially if the tournament is held for single players, so you can understand the privilege and hype of being a pro gamer.
To sum up
And there you have all of the Call of Duty: Warzone statistics and facts you could want! This is one of the most popular games in recent memory, something the revenue and popularity stats can attest to. The game has seen millions of players in its lifetime and it is a perfect representation of what a game can accomplish when you take an already popular gaming genre and twist it in your own way. Even though time is slowly passing and the game is bound to lose its viral popularity at some point, we can be sure that it is going to continue being a staple in battle royale gaming for the foreseeable future. We sincerely hope that you have enjoyed the information presented here and that you have learned something new!
- “Call of Duty Warzone”. Active Player, 2022, https://activeplayer.io/cod-warzone
- “How Many People Play Warzone? (User & Growth Stats)”. Fiction Horizon, 2022, https://fictionhorizon.com/how-many-people-play-warzone-user-growth-stats/
- “Two incredible milestones: Call of Duty®: Warzone™ Reaches 100 Million Players, Premium Call of Duty® Game Sales Eclipses 400 Million”. Call of Duty, 2021, https://www.callofduty.com/blog/2021/04/Incredible-Warzone-and-Game-Sales-Milestones
- “Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® II Beta largest in Call of Duty history”. Call of Duty, 2022, https://www.callofduty.com/blog/2022/09/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-II-beta-warzone-mobile-record
- “Call of Duty: Warzone Mobile breaks records, hits 15 million pre-registrations”. Dot Esports, 2022, https://dotesports.com/call-of-duty/news/call-of-duty-warzone-mobile-breaks-records-hits-15-million-pre-registrations
- “Call of Duty: Warzone”. SullyGnome, 2022, https://sullygnome.com/game/Call_of_Duty_Modern_Warfare/365/summary
- “Call of Duty: Warzone”. Esports Earnings, 2022, https://www.esportsearnings.com/games/648-call-of-duty-warzone
- “Now that is a photo finish! Millions of players from our #CODVeteruns100k community ran 226.7M km in support of the Endowment and our mission to get veterans back to work.”. Twitter, 2022, https://twitter.com/CODE4Vets/status/1535303591610634242
- “Call of Duty Warzone Player Count – How Many People Are Playing?”. PlayerCounter, 2022, https://playercounter.com/call-of-duty-warzone/
- “How much money does Warzone make?”. Charlie Intel, 2022, https://charlieintel.com/how-much-money-does-warzone-make/158159/