Bashing zombies’ heads in is always fun, no matter which game you’re playing, and Dead Island presents you with some of the best free-roaming zombie chaos you can find. There are four mainline games and each of them places special emphasis on melee combat and problem-solving. Each of the games has a fantastic story that you can immerse yourself in and are wholly unique experiences on their own. The first game was released in 2011 and the newest installment at the time of writing came out in April 2023, so we’re going to present some Dead Island statistics and facts for you to check out and see how the series has been doing since it was first introduced to the gaming industry. Speaking of that, we have all the answers if you ever wonder about video game industry revenue!
Dead Island key stats
The Dead Island series was developed by Techland, Deep Silver Dambuster Studios, Fatshark, and was published by Deep Silver. When the first game was released, the second was announced shortly after and was in development hell for over a decade. This section is going to contain all of the most relevant statistics regarding the series from total sales and revenue to news about the latest game and anything about the series moving forward.
The Dead Island series has sold over 15 million units.
(Sources: VG Insights, VG Chartz)
- Dead Island sold 5 million units.
- Dead Island 2 has sold 1 million units.
- Dead Island Riptide sold 622,000 units on Steam.
- Dead Island Definitive Edition sold 1.1 million units on Steam.
- Dead Island: Epidemic sold 1 million units on Steam.
- Dead Island Riptide Definitive Edition sold 337,000 units on Steam.
- Dead Island Retro Revenge sold 55,730 units on Steam.
The sales surrounding the Dead Island series are impressive, but there aren’t too many sources to back up this information with official stats provided by the publisher, so you’re gonna have to take this with a grain of salt. Nonetheless, we can see that the most popular game in the series is the original Dead Island, at least until we see how Dead Island 2 performs on the market.
The Dead Island series has grossed over $25 million in revenue on Steam.
(Source: VG Insights)
- Dead Island Riptide grossed $7.4 million on Steam.
- Dead Island Definitive Edition grossed $13.3 million.
- Dead Island Riptide Definitive Edition grossed $4.3 million.
- Dead Island Retro Revenge grossed $188,000.
While basing all of this on Steam is not as ideal as full financial reports from the people that made the game, this is still a good reference point for forming a perspective on the overall success of the Dead Island series since the first game came out. There have been quite a few editions of the games and each of them has had a decent amount of success.
Dead Island 2 reached 1 million units sold in three days.
- Multiple teams worked on the game for over a decade.
- This achievement was quite impressive considering that it came out between the Resident Evil 4 remake and Star Wars Jedi: Survivor.
- Within those three days, players have achieved the following stats:
- 11 million hours were played.
- Players died 28 million times.
- 45 million zombies were sliced in half.
- 756 million zombie limbs were severed.
- 1.1 billion zombies were killed.
Some games struggle to achieve as many sales as Dead Island 2 did in only three days, and that is because the game itself is just a classic zombie survival game, with no gimmicks, no revolutionary mechanics, just good ol’ fashioned zombie slashing. We can’t wait to see how this game performs in the future!
Dead Island and Dead Island 2 have over 9.4 million hours watched on Twitch.
- Dead Island had 310,793 hours watched in 2022.
- The game had 59,904 broadcasting hours.
- It had an average of 35 viewers.
- There were 6 channels streaming the game on average.
- It had a viewer ratio of 5.2.
- Its peak viewer count was 15,176.
- There were 14,476 broadcasters that streamed the game.
- Dead Island 2 had 9.1 million hours watched in 2022.
- The game had 331,987 broadcasting hours.
- It had an average of 1,045.
- There were 37 channels streaming the game on average.
- It had a viewer ratio of 27.6.
- Its peak viewer count was 239,404.
- There were 52,121 broadcasters that streamed the game.
Alright, here we have some general Twitch statistics for the two most popular Dead Island games out there — the original, as well as the newest release. As we can see, the first game did not perform as well as the second for a variety of reasons, with the main one being simply that Dead Island 2 is new! 300 thousand hours watched vs over 9 million is a huge difference, but that is just how it is sometimes.
To sum up
Okay, so that’s all we have to say about the Dead Island series! Of course, there is a lot more information to come as we see how Dead Island 2 performs on the market, and you can be sure that we’ll update this with any new piece of information that comes up, so everything is complete. We sincerely hope that you have enjoyed what we’ve had to present here and that you’ve found what you were looking for!
- “Dead Island (Series)”. VG Chartz, 2023, https://www.vgchartz.com/game/226360/dead-island/?region=All
- “Dead Island Riptide – Steam Stats”. VG Insights, 2023, https://vginsights.com/game/216250
- “Dead Island Definitive Edition – Steam Stats”. VG Insights, 2023, https://vginsights.com/game/383150
- “Dead Island: Epidemic – Steam Stats”. VG Insights, 2023, https://vginsights.com/game/222900
- “Dead Island Riptide Definitive Edition – Steam Stats”. VG Insights, 2023, https://vginsights.com/game/383180
- “Dead Island Retro Revenge – Steam Stats”. VG Insights, 2023, https://vginsights.com/game/337360
- “Dead Island”. SullyGnome, 2022, https://sullygnome.com/game/Dead_Island/2022
- “Dead Island 2”. SullyGnome, 2022, https://levvvel.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=351338&action=edit
- “Dead Island 2 Quickly Reaches Massive Sales Milestone After Decade In Development”. PureXbox, 2023, https://www.purexbox.com/news/2023/04/dead-island-2-quickly-reaches-massive-sales-milestone-after-decade-in-development