Stardew Valley has been hailed as one of the most satisfying and cozy games in gaming history because of its setting and appeal to the cottagecore/farming community and has had millions of players worldwide as a result. The setting of the game is that your character inherits a farm from their grandfather that they have to restore to its former glory. Throughout the game, you will interact with the residents of Pelican Town, solve quests, plant crops, and raise animals, all presented in a nice top-down perspective. The game has been around for seven years now, so we’re going to be listing some Stardew Valley statistics to see how it has been performing over the years and just why its following is as large as it is. If you’re interested in similar subjects like this one, we can tell you just how big the gaming industry is!
Stardew Valley key stats
This section of statistics will take a look at some of the basic information regarding the game and everything it has achieved over the years. Stardew Valley is very expansive and features tons of secrets, which is one of the main reasons so many people want to play the game in general. The game also has a strong Twitch following that loves watching it, so we’ll touch up on that as well.
Stardew Valley has sold over 20 million copies.
- The game reached 1 million sales 2 months after its release.
- It reached 10 million sales by January 2020.
- It reached 15 million sales by September 2021.
- The 20 million sales milestone was reached in March 2022.
We can see that Stardew Valley was an instant hit in the gaming community because it achieved over 1 million sales within the first two months of its release. Of course, many games achieve the 1 million milestone within the first few days of release, but we also have to understand that this is an indie game developed by a single person, so Stardew Valley’s accomplishments are quite noteworthy. Since then, the game has accumulated millions of sales and has achieved global fame as one of the best farming simulators out there.
Stardew Valley made $131.8 million on Steam.
(Source: VG Insights)
- The game has approximately 30,000 players on Steam on average.
- 98.2% of its reviews are positive.
- It sold 12.3 million units.
- The player base has 166.8 hours of average playtime.
While the game is available on many platforms, the only one we can have some relatively accurate revenue for is Steam. The game has earned over $131 through this platform alone and it has a fairly solid player base with the concurrent player count being over 30,000 players, which is excellent.
Stardew Valley made $1 million in 2018 through iOS.
(Source: Pocket Gamer)
- An estimated 25% of mobile Stardew Valley players are on iOS.
- 41% of the game’s revenue came from the United States.
- 12% of the game’s revenue came from Japan.
- A large portion of the appeal for the mobile version of Stardew Valley comes from being able to transfer saves from PC to mobile.
Yes, Stardew Valley does have a mobile version and yes, it is just as awesome as you think it is. The game has over 1 million downloads on both iOS and Android, but what is interesting is that the game has also breezed past $1 million in revenue on iOS, while other, bigger titles do not do so well. As is to be expected, a large portion of the Stardew Valley mobile player base is from the United States.
Stardew Valley made $24 million in 2016.
(Source: PC Gamer)
- It was #16 among the best-selling Steam games of 2016.
- It beat Stellaris, Dead by Daylight, Dishonored 2, Mafia III, and Rust in total net worth.
- The game with the highest revenue in 2016 was Sid Meier’s Civilization VI with $78.9 million.
We’ve mentioned earlier that this is an indie game made by a single person, and this is one of its greatest achievements because it beat other excellent games made by big-name studios with millions of dollars in budgeting. It is another way of looking at this fantastic game as a product of creativity and determination used well and fulfilled completely.
ConcernedApe’s net worth is $34 million.
(Source: Pocket Gamer)
- The game’s creator, Eric Barone made the game on his own, crunching through 10-12 hour work days.
- He originally started working on a resume builder since he wanted to get better at programming.
- Since then, the game has sold millions of copies and ConcernedApe is a millionaire.
It is no exaggeration to say that ConcernedApe might not have any more financial worries in life due to the success of Stardew Valley. The game has pulled in millions of fans and even more money in revenue, and it will most likely continue to do so for the foreseeable future as the gameplay dynamic of Stardew Valley is truly timeless. We can only expect the same for ConcernedApe’s upcoming game — Haunted Chocolatier.
Stardew Valley had 17.2 million hours watched on Twitch in 2022.
- The game had 1.4 million broadcasting hours.
- On average, 1,971 were watching the game.
- There were 163 channels streaming the game on average.
- It had a viewer ratio of 12.
- The max number of viewers watching the game was 79,852.
Even though Stardew Valley doesn’t have too much replayability besides changing some aspects of your farm and your relationships with the townspeople, people still love watching the game because it is cozy, relaxing, and satisfying. It is also quite a special thing to watch your favorite streamer start a farm from nothing and make it grow into something amazing.
A speedrunner completed Stardew Valley in 17 minutes.
(Source: Eurogamer, Youtube)
- This was an any% run, meaning that you can use any exploits to get to the end of the game.
- The run has been described as being quite chaotic since you have to blow up your farm to start the run efficiently.
- Stardew Valley usually takes about 50 hours to just complete, while a 100% run takes 156 hours.
- TheHaboo completed the game entirely in 24 hours.
The reason a 17-minute speedrun of Stardew Valley sounds insane is that the game basically takes dozens of hours to complete, meaning to just reach the ending. If you want to 100% the game, it takes three times the time. Finishing the game in 17 minutes sounds physically impossible, but Olenoname managed that by using some codes and exploits.
ConcernedApe is working on a new game called Haunted Chocolatier.
- The gameplay will have a special emphasis on collecting crafting materials to make chocolate when you return home.
- The economic system will be more complicated with players having to monitor the demand for their products and supply accordingly.
- Haunted Chocolatier is more combat focused than Stardew Valley and will retain some of the main community interaction elements from the previous game.
And finally, we would like to wrap this up by mentioning ConcernedApe’s upcoming game — Haunted Chocolatier. This is the next step in the Stardew Valley universe and the game is going to be fantastic if it is even as partially well-made as Stardew Valley. This game is set in a world where you have to make your own chocolate and other confections by venturing out into the world and gathering the necessary ingredients.
To sum up
And with that, we have achieved Perfection. Stardew Valley is one of the most popular games in the world and we are so glad to be able to bring you all of this information and fill you in on how successful the game has been since it came out back in 2016. ConcernedApe is the perfect example of an indie developer that has risen to the top through sheer creativity and determination (and about 200 gallons of coffee, we’re sure). This is something many indie developers aspire to, and the reason Stardew Valley is so popular in the gaming community is that anyone can get into it. It’s simple, it’s fun, and it’s addictive as well. We sincerely hope that you have enjoyed the content we have provided here and that you have learned something new about everyone’s favorite farming simulator!
- “Lifetime unit sales generated by Stardew Valley worldwide as of March 2022”. Statista, 2022, https://www.statista.com/statistics/1326529/stardew-valley-lifetime-unit-sales/
- “Stardew Valley – Steam Stats”. VG Insights, 2023, https://vginsights.com/game/413150
- “Haunted Chocolatier: Everything We Know So Far”. ScreenRant, 2022, https://screenrant.com/haunted-chocolatier-gameplay-details-relationships-combat/
- “‘Stardew Valley’: What is ConcernedApe’s Net Worth?”. Cheatsheet, 2021, https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/stardew-valley-what-is-concernedapes-net-worth.html/
- “Stardew Valley reaps a $1 million harvest on iOS after making its mobile debut”. Pocket Gamer, 2018, https://www.pocketgamer.biz/news/69466/stardew-valley-reaps-a-1-million-harvest-on-ios-after-making-its-mobile-debut/
- “Stardew Valley”. SullyGnome, 2022, https://sullygnome.com/game/Stardew_Valley/2022
- “Stardew Valley made way more money than Call of Duty on Steam, and other 2016 sales insights”. PC Gamer, 2017, https://www.pcgamer.com/stardew-valley-made-way-more-money-than-call-of-duty-on-steam-and-other-2016-sales-insights/
- “Speedrunning Perfection In 24 hours”. Youtube, 2022, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhiVit4xpiY
- “This speedrunner completed Stardew Valley in just 17 minutes”. Eurogamer, 2022, https://www.eurogamer.net/this-speedrunner-completed-stardew-valley-in-just-17-minutes